Drug Abuse vs Drug Addiction in Seattle, WA
Drug abuse and drug addiction are not the same. Understanding the differences between drug abuse and drug addiction gives you the insight you need to help the person you love. Island Assessment and Counseling offers addiction resources, including information about drug abuse and drug addiction, for the residents of Seattle, Bellevue, Issaquah and the surrounding areas in Washington State so that they may better understand drug addiction and treatment.
What is Drug Abuse?
People who perform at work, maintain relationships and engage in activities while using drugs may be at a stage of drug abuse. Drug abuse is not the same as drug use because, even though using drugs causes problems, they are simply well-hidden from those around the user. Everything seems normal because the person seems to have the drug use under control. What is actually happening is that the person is becoming more dependent on the drugs. They experience cravings, withdrawal symptoms and are constantly thinking about their drug of choice. A person who abuses drugs does not have the same extreme physiological dependence yet, but they are one step closer to addiction.
What are the Signs of Drug Abuse?
Someone may be at the point of drug abuse if they:
- Stop caring about their appearance, health, and well-being
- Allow important relationships to fall apart
- Neglect close friends and family members
- Have legal issues related to drug use
- Exhibit poor performance at work or school
- Isolate themselves
- Have financial issues related to drug use
What is Drug Addiction?
Although drug abuse has a detrimental effect on a person’s life, drug addiction has an added layer of danger. Being addicted to drugs means that a person is physically dependent on drugs causing the body and brain not to function properly. Withdrawal symptoms are severe, and perhaps even life-threatening. When a person reaches the point of addiction, they have completely lost interest in all other areas of life. They are no longer “high functioning,” but exist only to seek and use their drug of choice. The person stops taking care of themselves socially, emotionally and physically as they are completely consumed by the addiction.
What are the Signs of Drug Addiction?
The signs of drug addiction are:
- Poor motor skills and body coordination
- Prioritizing drug seeking, acquisition and use above everything else
- Engaging in illegal activities to acquire drugs
- Participating in activities that go against their beliefs and morals
- Experiencing confusion, poor judgment, and memory problems
- Not being able to stop drug use even when they acknowledge the detrimental effects
- Having chronically red eyes
- Using drugs to feel “normal” or avoid withdrawal symptoms
What Do I Do if Someone I Know Has Signs of Drug Abuse or Addiction?
The person you know needs professional help to get their life back on track. We invite you to contact us to speak with one of our certified addiction counselors. We will help you understand what is happening, and make recommendations on how to help the person who is abusing or addicted to drugs.
How Much Does Drug Rehab Cost in Seattle?
Drug rehab at our facility can change someone’s life for the better. We make our program affordable to those who want treatment. Island Assessment and Counseling accepts most insurance plans. You can pay for your portion of the cost with cash or credit cards. If you are uninsured or need help with your out-of-pocket expenses, we offer in-house payment plans.
Why Choose Island Assessment and Counseling
Island Assessment and Counseling offers addicts:
- More than 22 years’ experience
- State-approved facility for holistically-based programs
- Staff includes Certified Counselors, Licensed Counselors, and Chemical Dependency Counselors
- Evidence-based practices, such as 12-step, motivational and cognitive behavioral therapy
Drug abuse and drug addiction are two distinct stages and require unique approaches to treatment. Once you understand drug abuse vs. drug addiction, speak to one of our certified addiction counselors to learn about your options. Island Assessment and Counseling, conveniently located in Seattle and Oak Harbor, is a highly-rated counseling center serving the residents of Washington State. Our evidence-based programs help those who need rehab, dual diagnosis treatment and addiction treatment programs. We also offer addiction resources about drug abuse and drug addiction for families and individuals who want to better understand drug and alcohol addiction. Please contact us today to find out more about how we can help you.